Friday, December 15, 2006

Talent Shortage in India - Case Study - Fine Dining Restaurants - Dec 2006

As a seasoned recruitment professional (atleast I think so) after 20 years in recruitment in India, I thought that there will be very few surprises I will face.
The current economy and related job boom has left me in a 'Daze'.

Forget, the demand for '' Top Honchos'' to man the board rooms / corner rooms, I am talking about the acute shortage of people who stand and serve. I mean physically they stand and serve over long hours.

The other day, I saw a 'Wanted Posted' outside a 'Fine Dining Restaurant' in Chennai. Dear Reader, as you know, Chennai is considered the most conservative place in the southern part of India. South Chennai - Mylapore is the heartland of conservatism. Here I saw a big , bold advt in front of the shop ........

Wanted Cooks, Waiters, Floor Supervisors, Captains .. Salary NO BAR. Free accomodation provided. Walk In and take the job..............

Dear Reader, I was Zapped..........I am in Conservative Chennai and not California, where one is accustomed to see such 'Wanted Posters' over the years.

The fact is dear Reader , the Indian Tiger is on the prowl. Our growth rates @ 10 % +, although our reputed economists under-estimate them regularly. India is the place to be, besides China.

Looking forward to hear your comments on the job scene in India.

Lakshmi

No comments: